Saturday, June 13, 2009

The good, the bad and the motherf*cking ugly

Coparent and I haven't been on the LGBT 'scene' for many, many years but we always tried to make it to Pride Day. We missed last year due to illness so really wanted to go this year. I've always loved the idea of taking Mini-me to Pride. She's had the 'birds and bees' talk a few times and fully understands that sometimes girls fall in love with girls and boys fall in love with boys so I honestly didn't think it would be too confronting for her. I like the idea that she and her brothers will grow up to be open minded and accepting of others' sexualities. And her own - whatever that may be!

So off we went to Pride.

Firstly, the good. The boys had a great time! Lots of colour and puppies and fun! They both got bubble machines and icecream and spent a heap of time blowing bubbles at everyone around us (apologies to anyone who got unwillingly sprayed!). We and the kids also enjoyed watching the dog show, complete with a fully grown adult in a fox suit parading as a dog! Mini-Me had a go on the Clown game and won a small prize.

The Bad. Years ago everyone would wander around saying "Happy Pride Day". That seems to have left the building. I only heard myself say it! Secondly, it used to be free to be proud. Apparently pride comes at a cost now and that cost is $15 each per adult. Not that the $15 actually gets you anything - it just lets you in the gate so you can wander around and spend some more money!

The Motherf*cking ugly. We sat to eat icecream - and be covered in bubbles - for a while in the grassy area. Just after we sat down, a drag show came on. Not too much of a problem as we were up the back and the boys were oblivious. I don't think Mini-me cottoned on to the fact that the performer a) wasn't actually singing or b) was actually a dude. Until the second performer arrived. The conversation went like this . . .

Mini-Me: That girl looks like a man!
Me: She is a man. She's dressed up in women's clothes.
Mini-Me: Oh! ok.

Again, not really a problem. Until the third performer. This one had her own version of backing vocals that included language that would make a sailor blush. The F word, the S word and a heap of others I can't recall were broadcast for everyone's "enjoyment". Not long into the performance, the motherf*cker words were flying and we decided to leave. . .

Mini-Me: Mum, I don't think I want to hear those words.
Me: I agree. Let's go!

*sigh*. Perhaps I'm getting old (true). But when is it ok to use language like that at an event that you know may include children? I'm feeling almost guilty we took Mini-Me now and I'm honestly not sure I want to go again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment